YOU COUNT 2020 CENSUS COMING SOON!
Census 2020 is almost here! Will you help us determine the next 10 years for Greenwood and Abbeville Counties?
Why is the Census so important!
- Census data directs more than $800 billion in federal government resources to states, localities and families every year. The 2010 Census missed over 1 million children and youth and if all kids were counted, these programs would have received $550 million more per year for health, education and financial stability programs benefiting children and families.
- A more accurate count makes certain that there is stronger representation for federal, state, county and school board districts. It also helps businesses project and make decisions about things like new locations and hiring.
SCAMS, MYTHS, AND MISINFORMATION
- You get an email claiming to be from the Census Bureau. The agency will almost always contact by mail.
- A supposed census agent asks you for money or financial data. The Census Bureau will never ask for this information.
- A supposed census agent threatens you wit arrest. Taking part in the census is required by law, but you can’t be imprisoned.
- Read more tips on how to spot census scams Here.
- Hearing something that doesn’t seem right or see misinformation being spread? Report it here.
- Worried about the citizenship questions? Learn more here
- March 12-20, 2020: An invitation to respond online to the 2020 Census will be sent via mail(Some households will also receive paper questionnaires.)
- March 16-24, 2020: A reminder letter will be sent if you haven’t responded yet
- March 26-April 3, 2020 : A reminder postcard will be sent
- April 8-16, 2020: A reminder letter and paper questionnaire will be sent
- April 20-27, 2020: A final reminder postcard will be sent before Census workers follow up in person
How do you respond? There are three options: